PAP 026: How to Create a Parenthood that Works for Raising Kids with ADHD, by Ignoring Traditional Parenting Norms
How to Create a Parenthood that Works for Raising Kids with ADHD
In this episode of the Parenting ADHD Podcast, I’m talking about why traditional parenting norms don’t work for kids with ADHD, and how to create a parenthood that works for your kid. Here are the steps I talk about in detail in this episode:
- Destroy traditional parenting ideals and norms. Cast them out of your mind.They don’t work for ADHD.
- How to be a detective and learn your child’s truth.
- Use that truth as your guide to rewrite the plan for your parenthood, being sure expectations are developmentally appropriate, and respect who your child truly is.
- Focus on the positive more than the negative. Create opportunities for success, and for building confidence. (Many kids with ADHD feel they are “stupid,” “bad,” or “broken” and this helps to counter that.)
- Don’t expect the “norm,” and don’t expect perfection.
Resources in this EpisodeNOTE: Some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I receive a commission (at no cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Dr. Dodson on the ADHD Brain and what motivates it.
- ImpactADHD on “should-ing” on yourself and your child.
- Diane Dempster: The Healthy Way to Make Mistakes
- Episode PAP012: Compassionate Parenting and Being a Student of Your Child
- Chusy Jardine’s TEDx talk about ADHD and Late Blooming
- Raising Human Beings, by Ross Greene, PhD
- Get Your Mind Right for Parenting Kids with ADHD online course (sale price for podcast listeners!)